Tuesday, November 9, 2010

{Serendipity} Frozen Hot Chocolate

If I had to pick my favorite thing about fall&&winter time, I would definitely choose the food. Something about the the weather, music, and just overall "cuddle" feeling, makes food taste so much richer around this time of year. I absolutely adore it. Well, the past few winters many of my friends would talk about "frozen hot chocolate" and what a wonderful concoction it is. So last night I looked up the original recipe from Serendipity in New York. It was simple, and turned out really yummy
INGREDIENTS:
~ 6 pieces (1/2 oz) chocolate, a variety of your favorites
~ 2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate mix
~ 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
~ 3 cups ice
~ Whipped cream
~ Chocolate Shavings

DIRECTIONS:
Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar. Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and slowly add ½ cup of milk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.

In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the room-temperature chocolate mixture and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.


tips&&tricks:
     ~for the chocolate shavings, simply take a chocolate bar, zap it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds, and use a vegetable peeler to create shavings.
     ~ in addition to chocolate shavings to top the whipped cream, you can also crush peppermint on top for an extra treat. Or add a tablespoon of Starbucks peppermint syrup to the frozen mix to make frozen peppermint hot chocolate. 
Enjoy!

XO.
B

2 comments:

  1. yumm! this is a favorite recipe at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke, I just want to say I love your blog! It's awesome that you're a fellow foodie! :-)

    I LOVE this recipe - have made it a couple times only because it's super rich! Someday, I hope you can go to NY and go to Serendipity, it's pretty much the coolest thing to do.

    And, I can't wait to try your caramel apples! They look awesome, and I too, am a huge fan of the apples at Rocky Mountain!

    love,
    Mrs. H

    ReplyDelete