Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes

Last week I started my final semester of college before I go to culinary school. Having a routine and schedule has been nice, and has left me more time to cook, which has been a treat. I decided to make pancakes for breakfast one morning. I picked on this recipe for two reasons; I love lemons and I love poppyseeds. These turned out better that I could have expected. They are perfectly fluffy and light, with the perfect sweetness. I would suggest topping them off with fresh fruit and a bit of hot syrup (nothing ruins pancakes like COLD syrup...ugh). I used blueberries, and it was delectable.
ENJOY.


INGREDIENTS:
// 2 C flour
// 1 t baking powder
// 1/2 t baking soda
// 1/3 C sugar
// pinch of salt
// 1/3 C poppy seeds
//zest of 4 lemons
// 2 C buttermilk
// 2 large eggs
// 2 T butter --- melted

DIRECTIONS: 

I. Mix dry ingredients together.
II. In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add poppy seeds and zest.
III. Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Stir just until combined --- don't overmix!!
IV. Heat skillet over medium heat. Brush with butter. pour 1/3 C scoops of batter into the center of the skillet.
V. Place pancakes that are done on a baking sheet and place in oven heated to 'warm' until you have used up all the batter.
Vi. Remove pancakes from over and serve.



TIPS&TRICKS:
         :: Poppy seeds go rancid quickly, so store them in your freezer.
         :: Heat store bought syrup for about 30 seconds in the microwave and pour over warm pancakes immediately before serving.


1 comment: