Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Salted {Caramel} Cupcakes

Okay, these might be my favorite cupcakes I have ever made. They are like nothing I have ever tasted before. I got the recipe from this blog, which is one of my favorite foodie blogs, for SURE. I've made them a few times and they are definitely a hit. 

INGREDIENTS:
// 1 1/4 C flour
// 3/4 t baking powder
//1/4 t sea salt
// 1/2 C firmly packed dark brown sugar
// 1/4 C granulated sugar
// 1/2 C unsalted butter  (room temp)
// 2 large eggs
//1 t vanilla
//1/2 C whole milk
DIRECTIONS:
I. Preheat oven to 350. Line a standard cupcake pan with liners.
II. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the sugars and butter using a mixer, until light and fluffy - aprox. 3 minutes. Add in eggs and vanilla until combined.
III. Add in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk in two additions. Beat on low speed until combined. Place mixture in cups and bake for 20 minutes; until a toothpick comes out clean.

[[here's the best part]]
::Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting::

INGREDIENTS:
// 1 stick butter
// 3-4 C powdered sugar
// 1/2 C granulated sugar
// 1/2 C heavy cream
// sea salt

DIRECTIONS:
I. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook the granulated sugar, over medium high heat until it begins to melt. After it is melted and browned, pour the cream in, in a steady stream. Stir until completely smooth. Set aside to cool. [[here i amended the recipe and added 1/4 t vanilla to the caramel, because I think it gives it a better flavor; but its up to you]]
II. In a mixer, cream the butter until fluffy and smooth. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 C at a time, until it is the consistency you want. [[you may not need all 4 cups; i didn't]] Add a pinch of sea salt. Add the caramel in dollops. Gently swirl. Pipe onto cupcakes
III. I sprinkled a bit of sea salt onto the piped cupcakes and it gave it a more stark salty//sweet contrast. It was SO good. 

"For a day in your courts is better
   than a thousand elsewhere.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
   than dwell in the tents of wickedness."
|| Psalm 84:10 ||


No comments:

Post a Comment