Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day {Sugar Cookies}


Approaching Valentines day, I was anticipating making red velvet cupcakes for dessert. However upon seeing the adorable Valentines day sprinkles at Target, I decided to make sugar cookies and decorate them with pink, red and white icing. I only wish i was able to find X's and O's cookie cutters, but i didn't see any at the stores i visited, so if you know where they're selling them, please please, do tell! Personally I think my mom has one of the best sugar cookie recipes, but thats just me! they're fun to decorate with a bunch of girlfriends, and the possibilities are endless!
SUGAR COOKIES
~ 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
~ 1/2 teaspoon salt
~ 1 teaspoon baking powder
~ 1 cup butter
~ 2 cups sugar
~ 2 large eggs
~ 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, and zest of two lemons
*****
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. set aside.
2. Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs
3. Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Wrap dough in plastic; chill for about 30 minutes. 
4. Preheat oven to 325. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shaped. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until edges start to brown. Let cool and decorate with Icing.
For the icing I put about 2- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar in a bowl and add milk in very small amounts. Stir and add enough milk until sugar is completely dissolved and movable, but still thick. I add small amounts of gel paste food coloring (can be bought @Michaels- $1.99, and they have EVERY color). Paint cookies and ENJOY!
and just to add to the business of the week, I gave my baby bunny a bath on Tuesday night. There is nothing quite as adorable as giving a bunny a bath. She's so sweet! :)

Happy Valentines Day!
XO
B





No comments:

Post a Comment