Thursday, January 20, 2011

Herbed Quiche {with blue cheese}

I love blue cheese. Honestly it ranks up there with avocado for me. Yesterday while looking through recipes, I got so excited when I spotted this one; a quiche with blue cheese as one of the ingredients. I've never made a quiche before, and I was kind of nervous about it. I don't really know why i felt apprehensive, I guess just the name makes it sound hard to make. (Plus my mom makes the most amazing quiches in the world, so I have quite large shoes to fill.) But i'm so glad that I did it! I really like this recipe because its flavorful and uber creamy
Although this recipe is quite easy, it is moderately time consuming, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that many of the dairy ingredients need to reach room temperature before you whisk them up, and the dough needs to chill for at least an hour before you bake it, so plan time accordingly. 
The final product is super yummy, and I definitely will be making this again!
Herbed Quiche With Blue Chesse
I N G R E D I E N T S:
~ 1 savory pie crust (recipe posted below)
~ 6 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
~ 2 oz blue cheese at room temperature
~ 2 T butter at room temperature
~ 3 eggs
~ 1 C heavy cream
~ 1 C whole milk
~1/2 t salt
~ 1/4 t pepper
~ 3 T chopped fresh herbs (such as: parsley, thyme, tarragon, chives and/or oregano)

D I R E C T I O N S:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness to fit and 8 inch tart or pie pan. Fill pan with dough, easing the dough up against the sides.
3. Line the pastry shell with parchment paper and fill it with ceramic pie weights or dried beans. Place on baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool. Remove parchment paper and weights.
4.Lower the oven to 375. In medium bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter and blue cheese. Whisk in eggs until blended. Stir in cream, milk salt, pepper and herbs. Pour filling into partially baked pie shell. Place on baking sheet and bake, rotating halfway through, until it is puffed and golden brown; about 25 minutes. Quiche is done when knife inserted into the center comes out clean. 
5. Let cool at least 5 minutes before slicing.
tips&&tricks;
     ~Using a pie pan works just fine, as most are 9 inches in diameter. I used one because I don't have a tart pan yet. (insert super sad face here)
     ~I used dried herbs (the ones you buy from the store in glass bottles) because thats all I had, and it worked just fine! I mixed together large amounts of oregano, parsley and thyme, with smaller amounts of basil, rosemary and chives. It still tasted great, but I'm sure fresh herbs will just be that much better.
SAVORY PIE CRUST
I N G R E D I E N T S:
~ 1 1/4 C all purpose flour
~ 1 t salt
~ 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
~ 8 T cold butter, cut into pieces
~ 3- 4 T ice water

D I R E C T I O N S:
1. Place flour, salt and pepper in bowl of food processor to combine. Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While machine is still running, gradually drizzle in the water, processing until the dough becomes a ball.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into a flat disk. wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
enjoy
xo
B



No comments:

Post a Comment