Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Best Bites: Southern California

Growing up, our family time pretty much consisted of either eating together or seeing a movie together. I think that has helped in creating a passion in me for food and cinematic arts. I have seen too many  a lot of movies throughout my childhood and teenage years, and the tradition continues to this day. One of my parents will usually text us sometime in the afternoon asking if everyone will be home, and what movie we should either go see or rent. Movie watching, I admit, got to be a bad habit for me at one point. I would put on a movie when I was cleaning, or doing homework, and especially in free time that I had. I am not picky at all when it comes to genre, which i think has aided to the problem in the past. But thankfully my number is now down from about 6 movies a week (yeah.......I know), to 1, and sometimes 2. It sounds like an expensive habit, but really it is one of the cheapest things you can do for entertainment, if you know what you're doing. The libraries in Burbank have an expansive selection of movies that are available for rent, for free, or if its a newly released title, it costs $1 for three days. and because I don't have school on Fridays, my mom and I have our "Friday Dates" per say. We go to a morning movie ($6 per ticket), then grab lunch and run errands. Its actually quite a nice time. But I digress
What i WAS saying {before that long tangent} is that pretty much, Ive seen a lot of movies, and eaten at a lot of restaurants. Somehow my parents find out about all these super secret, yummy spots. Living in Burbank is nice too, because there is such diversity. The best part is, there are SO many more places that we have yet to dine; the possibilities are endless, really. All this has lead to many of our families friends calling and asking my parents, and now me, "Where should I eat?" or "I'm having guests over and they like _____ kind of food, where do we take them?" Well anyways I have dedicated this post to what I feel, are the:
"Best Bites in Southern California"
1. Best Mexican Food:
Don Cuco
3911 W Riverside Dr, Burbank
I have grown up eating here, and we absolutely love it. The meal is preceded by endless chips with salsa and sour cream, followed by your meal, which usually includes soup or salad, beans and rice. My favorite is the fried burrito, or the shrimp tacos.
** BUT, this is of the most critical importance, The original one is located in Burbank on Riverside drive. There is also two more in Glendale and Santa Clarita, and a new one in Burbank, up on Orange Grove. The Santa Clarita and Glendale ones are not the same. They were opened by other people in the company, the chefs aren't the same, and the food is notably different. However the family opened up a second one in Burbank (Orange Grove), which is owned, managed, and "cheffed" by the same family members as the Riverside one, and the food is just as wonderful. But i you eat at the other two, you didn't hear it from me ;-)

FIESTA TACO
1110 N Hollywood Way
BurbankCA 9150
This is literally an old house that has been converted into a restaurant. You go in and order and then squeeze into the back and sit at one of 5 tables. Its located next to a hotel, and yeah, it looks super ghetto. But, its as real as it gets with homemade Mexican food.  They have great burritos, and their tongue meat is realllly good too. (If you're into that whole thing.) It's super reasonable, and can not be beat. Its great.

2. Best BBQ
Pecos Bill's bar-b-q
1551 Victory Boulevard Glendale, CA 91201
This place is another literal "hole in the wall" spots, but i have never tasted anything even comparable to what they produce. The sandwiches are yummy, melt in your mouth pulled pork. Their coleslaw is amazing as well. You haven't had pulled pork, till you've had Pecos Bill's. Just try it, okay?

Phil's BBQ
3750 Sports Arena Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92110
Okay, Southern Californians don't do authentic BBQ well. I think my total time spent in southern states would total about 3-4 months, and I ate BBQ for almost every meal. Homemade, and from restaurants, and its not like Woodranch at all people. But this place is dang close. It's phenomenal, and the line usually stretches around the building. I always get a full rack of beef ribs and leave drenched in sauce. We always buy two bottles of their sauce to take home,  until we go again. Your life will be changed, forever

3. Best Deli's
Handy Market  
2514 West Magnolia Boulevard
Burbank, CA 91505-3029
By a display of common grace, I live two blocks from here. They have a deli with all kinds of meat, and the best bacon you can find, guaranteed. Its thick, fresh, never frozen, amazing strips of bacon. They have all different kinds of meats and cheeses they will slice for you, fresh off the "block." On Saturdays, they do a out side bbq and grill literally all day. There is quite a line, but the bbq sandwiches, ribs, or anything, is SO worth it. They also have amazing paninis any day of the week; my favorite is the chicken panini. You will never buy 
Hillshire farms again.

Monte Carlo
3103 West Magnolia Boulevard
Burbank, California 91505
I have been going here.....forever. It was my brothers favorite place when we were little, and I've always loved it. It is a restaurant (Pinocchio's) connected to a deli (Monte Carlo).  They serve homemade Italian pizzas, lasagna, salads, and sandwiches.  It has two dimly lit rooms, that are very intimate, and you could spend forever just sitting and talking to friends.  The deli however; which shares a wall with the restaurant, and is run by the same people, is awesome! They have all kinds of fresh cheeses and meats, that you cant find anywhere else locally (and their prices are SUPER reasonable). Plus they have super yummy gelato. I would definitely recommend a visit here.

4. Best Cafe's
Portos
315 North Brand Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91203-2303
---and---
3614 West Magnolia Boulevard
Burbank, CA 91505-2913
Of all the places that I recommend people to go, Porto's is definitely one place that pops up the most! Porto's is a Cuban bakery, that serves fresh sandwiches, breads, pastries, coffee and smoothies. Seriously, this place is one in a million. My favorite things are; potato balls (GAH!), chocolate croissant, and the torta de pollo (on a croissant instead of French Bread). They have outdoor seating, and its a great place for a chat with a friend, or taking time to think by having lunch by yourself. I can not say enough good things about this place. Ask anyone who has been and they'll tell you the same! So either go now, or come over to my house, and we can walk and eat. YUM.

Aroma
4360 Tujunga Avenue
San Fernando Valley, CA 91604
Oh Aroma. Where to start. I feel like everyone I know has been there, but then at the same time, so many of my friends haven't. I absolutely LOVE this place. It reminds me of Grace Church so much, because I have never been, and not seen at least two people from around grace, :-) YAY! But this cafe is a converted house, with mostly outdoor seating. They serve all kinds of yummy wraps, desserts, coffees, teas, smoothies, salads, panini's. Whenever I want to have lunch with a friend, and really have a nice place to talk and relax, I would hands down pick here. This place is so magical, and the food never gets old! 

5. Best Italian
Tony's Bella Vista 
3116 W Magnolia Blvd 
Burbank, CA 91505-3045
I have been eating here my whole life. Every time we would have dinner with a bunch of people at my grandmas house, we would order pizza and a salad from here. They have, I think, some of the best pizza in so cal. Its such a cozy, cute Italian restaurant. They serve pizza, salad, pastas, and other stuff........Moment of truth, Ive never had anything other than the pizza and the salad. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....right? But seriously, i love Tony's and would definitely recommend it. 

There are SO many other places that I have in mind, and would mention if only my fingers weren't so tired. but maybe I'll do this again :-) I hope you enjoy any of these places that you go, and let me know what you guys think!
enjoy
xo
B





No comments:

Post a Comment