Monday, March 28, 2011

well i {recommend}.....

when i started section two of the biblical counseling classes i'm taking, I didn't quite know what to expect, because the topic was: marriage&family. The first thing I did when I got my syllabus was look at the reading list. Typically there is 9-10 books that we are required to read throughout the twelve week course. It sounds like a lot, but its definitely manageable, and a good lesson in discipline :-) Two of the books that I read this last class stuck out to me the most were: Love that Lasts, and Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage.
Okay, I'm such a woman....seriously. When i saw the cover of this book i got all excited to read it because of the cute rope heart on the front :-) Before this class I had never read any books specifically written to married couples. This book rocks. It is such an awesome commentary on what the marriage relationship is supposed to look like, as God designed it, and just gives a lot of scriptural and practical explanation on how to have a loving relationship. So much of the scripture used is applicable to how we are to interact, communicate and be long suffering in all of life's relationships. Single, married or engaged, I would definitely recommend this book. Oh, and Betsy is C.J. Mahaney's sister, which was awesome as well! 

This book is a 100 page, detailed explanation on what exactly the Bible teaches about marriage, divorce and remarriage. It definitely is rich in theology, and I found it super helpful in increasing my understanding about these issues, but definitely saw just how complicated and sad sin can make things! Jay continually stresses that divorce isn't necessarily a sin, but is always a result of sin. (If that makes no sense, or sounds funny, read the book. He does a much better job of explaining it than I ever could!)




1 comment: