Tuesday, March 15, 2011

{Dying} of Morality

A few days ago, I observed one of the most impactful conversations ever. The words themselves were nothing 'special' per say,  but the thoughts they sparked, and the burden the Lord laid on my heart were deeply resonant with me. 
What happened was: A young girl, who I babysit, balloon poped, and she started crying. Her mom replied saying "Are you three? no. Are you dying of cancer? no. Do we have a home? yes. So you have no reason to be crying." Immediately I thought "True, but you're dying of your morality."
Can we really be running toward eternal death, by living 'morally'? 
The biblical answer is clearly; Yes.
I spend several hours the last few days pondering the concept of this. These 'moral' people don't even know that they're running straight into the lake of fire. How terrible! I can definitely relate, because like all believers, I was that person before I was saved. Running straight toward hell, at top speed, thinking I was paving my way up to heaven because I knew a lot of scripture, and because i did "good things." Obviously this facade only got weaker as time went on, and I became more outwardly immoral and obviously not saved. But then, one day, that is still is a mystery to me, the Lord, in his grace showed me the truth of the Scripture, and the sinfulness of my own heart. Ephesians 2:1-10 says it best:
"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins  in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ— by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

But the whole thought that someone literally was storing up wrath for themselves by doing things that were "good" (or bad) by the worlds standards, was definitely something that caused me pause. Not because I didn't know it was true, but because I so often do nothing about it. It was such a humbling conversation I had with myself, and the Lord. He showed me how my life needs to be even more a testimony to his word and regenerating work, and how I must be faithful to share His word more passionately and fervently with anyone who is lost. 
The Lord used this to humble me, and show me how powerful he is, and how I am his slave! And what a joy :-)
Like Matthew 5:14 says "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."   What a high calling we have, but we serve a God who is so much higher. 
I really just love my Saviour. He is so gracious and kind to me, and I am completely undeserving!! w o w.


"If you return to the Almighty you will be built up;
   if you remove injustice far from your tents,
if you lay gold in the dust,
   and gold of Ophir among the stones of the torrent-bed,
then the Almighty will be your gold
   and your precious silver.
For then you will delight yourself in the Almighty
   and lift up your face to God"

JOB 22 : 23 - 26 



No comments:

Post a Comment